Sunday, September 27, 2015
Nothing gets done
Ducks in a row.
Posted by: Marie at 8:33 PM |
Sunday, September 20, 2015
Night was dark but the sky was blue
I used to get annoyed when people made fun of classic rock and classic rock fans. “Dinosaur rock” or “dad rock” was a putdown of something I generally like, and all you kids with your indie rock and hippety hop can step right over here and bite me. The stars of the classic rock era—the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, the Doors, the Eagles, David Bowie, Bob Seger, the Cars, Boston, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, name another one here—are too significant to the history of 20th century popular music to be dismissed with an epithet and a sneer, I thought.
* The world broke today. Again. So, be nice to each other. Be patient. Try to open your mind a little to the other person. Reach out, if you can. We're all we got. And tomorrow is Monday.
* Who do you love? (Mr. Bo Diddley.)
Posted by: Marie at 9:18 PM |
Saturday, September 19, 2015
You may not drive a great big Cadillac
Bicyclist and his shadow.
* Beautiful. Powerful: The philosopher-postman, revisited at 65.
* You may not have a car at all. But just remember brothers and sisters, you can still stand tall..... (Curtis Mayfield. Seven minutes of smoother than smooth.)
Posted by: Marie at 9:08 PM |
Sunday, September 13, 2015
It's written on the wind
The reflective glass, expansive plaza, travertine marble imported from Italy and building-on-a-pedestal look of the Horace Mann headquarters is typical of neoformalism, Rubano said. The park-like garden, walkways and reflecting pool also were common to the style.
"Neoformalism was a reaction to the lifelessness of modern architecture. The buildings were very severe," Rubano said. "They wanted buildings that had drama to them. They were opulent and symmetrical. They were very dramatic, with a lot of shiny or glittery components."
The Horace Mann building was an urban renewal project at the beginning. The city of Springfield purchased the site from various owners and cleared it as an incentive to developers. Horace Mann already was a corporate citizen. The insurance and financial services company was founded in Springfield in 1945.
Posted by: Marie at 8:02 PM |
Saturday, September 12, 2015
Shake your tambourine
They're going to turn off the fountains soon.
* After midnight, it's all gonna be peaches and cream....
Posted by: Marie at 10:16 PM |