Saturday, May 02, 2015
When the morning light comes streaming in
Bear him gently to his rest.
* Even though we don't know him, somehow we become aware that when Kelso walks into the room, you know it's over. Forty minute, one man audio play, about what Lincoln may have been thinking in the moments after he was assassinated: The Last Full Measure.
* Words and photos: Lincoln Funeral Reenactment Saturday May 2, 2015.
* I'll get up and do it again. Amen...... (Jackson Browne.)
Posted by: Marie at 8:56 PM |
Sunday, April 19, 2015
And so it begins
* My cousin wrote this: How Samuel Mudd Went From Lincoln Conspirator to Medical Savior.
* Rarely do we get a television commercial that grabs our attention in our small midwestern, mostly mundane, cable advertising market. But sometimes we do, even if it doesn't compel us to buy the product.
* I saw this ad for Drambuie only once, very late at night, over the Christmas holiday: Found Film.
* Surprisingly, this hilarious ad for athelete's foot medication comes on at least once a night: Lotrimin.
* Predictably, someone is horrified with the Lotrimin ad: "... infecting consumers with unwanted images of male masturbation in its latest commercial."
* Stumblin' in...... (Suzi Quatro.)
Posted by: Marie at 8:50 PM |
Saturday, April 18, 2015
My real name
* Is Mr. Earl. (The Cadillacs.) Imagine being a teenager and hearing this come on the radio for the first time in 1955. It must have been like an awakening.
Posted by: Marie at 9:43 PM |
Saturday, April 11, 2015
If I lived to be a hundred years old
* Yesterday's tornado in Northern Illinois: Tree limb in a wall.
* 1965 Wisconsin: Huddled in the Basement.
* Nice house.
* Oh, it's cryin' time again.... (Ray Charles.)
Posted by: Marie at 9:55 PM |
Friday, April 10, 2015
She taught me everything
Furniture. Last seen here.
I made her laugh. I love that the subject of her painting was no where that I could see. She wants to have an exhibit at the Hoogland. I hope she makes it.
Humanity has raced past four of the boundaries keeping it hospitable to life, and we're inching close to the remaining five, an Earth resilience strategist has found.
In a paper published in Science in January 2015, Johan Rockström argues that we've already screwed up with regards to climate change, extinction of species, addition of phosphorus and nitrogen to the world's ecosystems and deforestation.
We are well within the boundaries for ocean acidification and freshwater use meanwhile, but cutting it fine with regards to emission of poisonous aerosols and stratospheric ozone depletion.
* Wilmerding, Pennsylvania, in words and photos: Scenes from the Valley: When the Money Dries Up in a Company Town.
* Whenever someone mentions anything about Vicksburg, as my daughter did yesterday, my mind immediately goes to Mississippi Queen and stays there, until I hand it off, which I am doing to you, now.
* Way down around Vicksburg, around Louisiana way.... (Mississippi Queen, Mountain.) Also, I like this video, which has nothing to do with the song. Good job.
Posted by: Marie at 10:08 PM |