« Highway conditions | Main | Places I remember »

Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Blog changes

I’m just documenting a few recent changes I made behind the scenes here for future reference and in case anyone else wants to do the same.

ATOM:

A few versions ago Movable Type added support for ATOM (is it all caps, or is it Atom?) feeds. With all the buzz about ATOM, I figured the next logical step was to add it here. Not that I have a lot a readers, but you never know what the future holds. Unless you create a new main index for an existing weblog, it has to be added in manually.

From the MT main index template I copied the following code, and in the same place shown in said template, pasted it in my own main index file and saved it:

<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Atom" href="<$MTBlogURL$>atom.xml" />

In the templates section of my MT back end, I clicked “Create new index template.” Under “Template Name,” I named it “Atom 0.3 Index.” Under “Output File,” I called it “atom.xml.” Made sure “Rebuild this template automatically when rebuilding index templates” remains checked. Then, I copied the MT ATOM index file to clipboard and pasted it in the “Template Body” field. Clicked “save” and rebuilt the index files.

So far so good. Walla! Now, this blog is published in HTML, RSS, and ATOM. I’ll just have to figure out later if it actually works. Or maybe someone will tell me.

UPDATE: Oops! I almost forgot. Also added a link to the Atom feed in the sidebar.

SECOND UPDATE: Corrected the Template Name to Atom 0.3 Index instead of 1.0. Thanks to Neil T. for pointing that out. (I'm not a tech person. I just guessed at that without bothering to check it out. Although, now I see it's actually documented in the Atom file.)

Next!

My Yahoo RSS:

Configured MT to ping the new and beta Yahoo RSS Headlines by adding:

http://api.my.yahoo.com/RPC2

to MT preferences. Also, added Yahoo’s RSS crawler to robots.txt.

Thanks to Jeremy Zawodny’s blog for that one.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Squinting.

Posted by Marie at January 27, 2004 11:59 PM

Comments

Just one point - the current Atom specification is version 0.3, not 1.0. And it is 'Atom' - it's not an acronym.

Posted by: Neil T. at January 28, 2004 12:43 PM