Oh, that Mark Fletcher | Main | 5 Monday morning things

Sunday, September 26, 2004

I went to a garden party fund raiser

In Winnetka. Really. Like, a long time ago. More on that in a second. But first, Laura Bush and her daughters went to a garden party fund raiser this past Friday in Winnetka, of all places. I liked this part from the Channel 7 article:

Several hundred women paid $3,000 to $5,000 for a lunch of cold lobster, tomato aspic, salad, and fruit tarts...

Until I realized it said "cold lobster" and not "cold cuts," and "fruit tarts" instead of "pop tarts."

Anyway, it was the spring of 1980. At the time I was working at a very large and very conservative law firm in Chicago. I don't recall the candidate, or how much the ticket cost, but I'm sure it was well under $3,000. I just know I wouldn't have gone had someone at the firm not paid my way.

The afternoon before the party, I figured out what clothes I would wear and set my matching shoes by the front door to my apartment. I had hardwood floors and the neighbors downstairs always complained about me click-clacking around. I quickly learned it was best to just slip my shoes on as I was walking out the door.

Later that night (Saturday, still before the party), I had a date. Yes, I actually had a date. My best friend, who lived on the same floor as me, arranged for a couple of guys to take us out. Hey, we were two single girls living in the big city. Now I'm sitting here shaking my head in dismay as I recall what all happened that night.

For some incomprehensible reason, I invited the guy back to my apartment at the end of the date. If you knew me, you'd know I don't do that kind of shit. Upon arriving at my apartment, I instantly realized my mistake. I went into the bathroom, locked the door, and yelled out that I wasn't feeling well and would he please leave. I lied. I just wanted to get rid of him. As soon as I heard the door close, I made sure he was gone, locked the door and went to sleep.

A couple hours later, the phone rang. It was my best friend who had also taken her date home with her. Unfortunately for her, she let the guy stay. And [insert music of doom here], her boyfriend came over and caught them together. Oh, yeah. You know what I'm talking about. She was hysterical in tears and wanted me to come right over. I went right over. By then, the guy was gone, but her boyfriend was still there. Once I made sure things were under control, I told them I had to leave because I needed my sleep for the garden party!

That morning, I took my time getting ready for my big day at a garden party fund raiser at a mansion in Winnetka. Of course, I wanted to look perfect. When the limo driver rang the buzzer, I headed for the door to slip on my matching shoes and they were gone. The guy I had invited into my apartment and ditched had stolen my shoes on his way out.

Posted by Marie at September 26, 2004 11:20 PM


That's a great story, Marie.

Posted by: Jason at September 27, 2004 10:10 AM

Thanks, Jason.

Posted by: Marie at September 27, 2004 10:08 PM