Thursday, June 30, 2005
Updated Springfield blogroll
This entry is closed as of December 9, 2006. No additional blogs will be added. If you're looking for blogs in Springfield, Illinois, check out:
There will eventually be a way to submit your blog to that list. In the meantime, send me your links at mariecarnes [at] gmail.com. Thanks!
Last updated on November 6, 2006 (see below for additions)
Originally posted on 2 June 2005
The Springfield blogging community has experienced amazing growth since I last posted about it. These are the blogs I thrive on. These are the blogs I read before anything else. These are the blogs that send me into a complete tizzy when they don't write anything.
- Qaiser. Even though he doesn't live here any more, I still consider him a Springfield blogger since he was one of the first.
- Mike Wilson, WMAY radio host (Last updated Dec. 8, 2005, and not likely to ever be updated again; not that it has anything to do with blogging, Mike has left radio and gone into government service)
- IL Pundit (Delinked as I believe this blogspot blog has been hijacked. As evidenced by the content, whoever is posting here cannot possibly be the ILPundit of Springfield, Illinois)
- Capital Fax. I think I read that Rich recently moved to Springfield, so I'm including him here. ADDED 15 Dec 2005: Please note the new URL and update bookmarks accordingly
- Downleft (Delinked on October 19, 2006, as this is another Blogspot blog that Google has allowed to be hijacked instead of properly archiving the writings of the original author; not nice, Google, not nice at all)
- Dissuade.org (Photography of Allie Carnes; this is my daughter)
Since my comments are still broken, if anyone has any corrections, deletions or additions, please send them to me by e-mail. Thanks so much.
Added on June 16, 2005:
- Jerome Prophet. Where the prophet of Jerome reminds us, "What's there to shout about from Jerome, Illinois?"
- AbeLog -- A Blog - This blog hastily went offline after the great firing fiasco of 2007 at WNNS. DELINKED DUE TO IT IS NO MORE. Official blog of the Jim Leach Show, weekdays 6-9 am on Hot Talk 970 WMAY. UPDATED Sept. 2006: Jim has a fresh new blog with his own URL; change your links accordingly
Added June 18, 2005:
- Iggy Uncensored. I was quite surprised to happen upon this active Springfield blogger tonight. UPDATED 15 Dec 2005: Please note the new URL and update your bookmarks accordingly
- Blogs at UIS. Just a list of blogs at the University of Illinois at Springfied
Update on June 22, 2005: Comments are fixed and working again.
Updated June 30, 2005, after the Dave Bakke column in yesterday's SJR:
- Look Back Springfield. A bevy of local bloggers taking a look at Springfield's past places, people, and things. I'll be participating in this group effort.
- Grace Uncensored. The life and times of a writer, director, performer, relegated to life in Springfield. I found this blog thanks to the article.
- Julie. Another Springfield blogger located thanks to the article.(EDIT Nov. 27, 2006: Just noticed this person moved to California, but probably a long time ago; Edited on 2005 Oct 25: Noting that this blog is on angelfire; clicking on this link may render an obnoxious, useless, and hopefully harmless warning button)
- Another Julie. This one I found without the article. New and interesting. (Sadly, deleted; 9 Jan 2006)
I'm doing this haphazardly on my coffee break. Later, when I have more time, I'll go back over it to make sure it's what I want I mean. [check]
ADDED on September 28, 2005:
- American Patriot Legion (Edited on 2005 Oct 25: Blog author Bill Lewis moved to Huntington Beach, California this past weekend)
- AnAvengingCantelope (Deleted; 9 Jan 2006)
- Balint's Brainscan - Shawn Balint of WMAY (21 Jan 2006: Shawn has moved to St. Louis; I doubt he'll make future updates to the blog he hardly ever updated in the first place; miss ya, Shawn)
- Drone1047 (Moved, left no forwarding address; 9 Jan 2006)
- Irish Brigade[EDIT on Nov. 27, 2006: Appears to be abandoned in Jan. of 2006
- Ms. Hep's Rantings and Ravings
- Blevins Blog - The Blog of Palmer W. Blevins (Edited Sept. 18, 2006: New URL; update your links accordingly)
- Spontaneous Solutions - Greg Blankenship of the Illinois Policy Institute. UPDATED Sept. 2006: Found Greg. Lost Greg. Recently found him again at this slightly different URL. Update your links accordingly.
- Springfield Photos
- Springfield Trivia
- Talkback Now! - Pamela Furr of WMAY Radio
- University Blog
- Ztheday (Deleted; 9 Jan 2006)
- aka Kath's Photos
- jpmatth's Photos
ADDED on October 20, 2005:
- Bloggers at UIS. Not to be confused with the above-mentioned Blogs at UIS (seven as of this date)
- Picture of the Day by Brad Ward, one of the aforementioned Bloggers at UIS, but off the UIS web site
ADDED on October 25, 2005:
- Springfield Rewind Puts photos of Springfield from olden days together with current photos; outstanding!
Added on November 6, 2005:
- Deej - Spotted today in the comments of, I think, CapitolFax
Added on November 27, 2005:
- Yellow Dog Blog - Comments on politics in Illinois; reasonable, thought provoking, and often brilliant
- The Rubber Room - Hat tip to Dave of 11th Hour
- Drinking Liberally - Springfield, Illinois - Meetups taken to the next level
- Elijah Iles House - News about the oldest home in Springfield, Illinois. Wow! Blog by Will Howarth of Princeton University. I don't know Dr. Howarth, but anyone familiar with Springfield history and politics in the middle last century knows the highly regarded Howarth name. So many questions for Dr. Howarth. But, for now, just a warm welcome to the Springfield blogging community.
Added on December 16, 2005:
- Dave Heinzel - Now I can't recall how I found this blog
- otakuphotog.douglasaveue.com :: ewink's Blog (Tagline: The usually pointless ramblings of an overnight news photog in Las Vegas!) - Even though ewink resides in Las Vegas, it's clear he's from Springfield as indicated by the the "Douglas Avenue" in the title, and so, I'm including him in the Springfield blogroll
- New Springfield (Tagline: The history of Springfield, Illinois mixed with family history as well as the life and work of Vachel Lindsay are examined and discussed here) - Blog of Springfield native, Larry Stevens; found in the blogroll of the Elijah Iles House blog
- News & Views: SHS '58 - Blog of Springfield High School Class of '58 by Will Howarth. Very nice.
I think that's it for now. Let me know if there are any changes, corrections, or additions.
Added on January 9, 2006:
- The 26th Man (Tagline: Mostly baseball-themed opinion coming in under your chin) (See review on Jan 13, 2006) (Apr 29 2006: Updated with new URL. Update your blogrolls and aggregators accordingly. I should have done this a long time ago).
- Big Botched Blog (love the URL); Springfieldian living in San Francisco; found him when I recognized his "'shoe" on Flickr
- The Lyceum; another blog from the mind of Larry Stevens; this one more on current issues and politics
- Spfldnet - Reverse-Engineering Your Media-Generated Reality. www.spfld.net offers reference materials for quickly identifying persuasion and deception tactics in communication. By Fred Slocombe
- Who Killed Mary Jane; I just found this one tonight; only two testing-type posts so far, but I'm really looking forward to reading more about this true story
Added on January 16, 2006:
- gotshoo? - Found in the Sangamon County Flickr group
- Solitaire Trader - Amateur individual stock trader blog from the author of A Shareware Life (See review on Jan 20, 2006)
- iPodosphere.com (Tagline: Everything iPod) - As the name suggests, all about the iPod
Added on January 30, 2006:
- Photos Et Cetera: Photographs that may or may not be interesting
- Randy's Reviews: Reviews of Restaurants in Central Illinois (by the same author of Photos Et Cetera)
- Graduate Level Sykesology
- Kyle Still Kyle: A personal blog about whatever I have to say
- lllinois Channel: Unedited Nonpartisan Coverage of Illinois State Government & Public Affairs (based in Springfield, but of interest to all citizens of Illinois)
- On my blog there never fails to be gun shots
- WeatherProphet (by the same author of Jerome Prophet)
- Good time girl
- Shit Happens (June 16, 2006: Delinked at the request of the blogger)
- Vachel Lindsay: Poet (By Larry Stevens, author of New Springfield, and The Lyceum)
- Obiter Dictum: The only political blog with a rooster (By Amy Allen; I'm sorry for only now linking to this blog even though it has been around for a couple years)
This project is getting a tad unwieldy.
Added on March 18, 2006:
- rockymoviemarathonfoundation.blogspot.com::The Rocky Movie Marathon Foundation Blog (delinked March 1, 2007, due to deletion by the blog owner and subsequent hijacking)
- Two Alcoholics and a Blind Man: A fascinating read which appears to be a book in the making
- Weatherman's Wisdom. I found this in the tornado aftermath of March 2006; Larry Estep, official weather spotter for the National Weather Service; posts alternate between podcasts and the written word; citizen journalism at its finest, live from Springfield; I love this blog
Added on April 29, 2006:
- Artwork-Etc: Original Art by Randy Reynolds (by the same author of Photos Et Cetera and Randy's Reviews)
- Illinois Issues blog: The official blog of Illinois Issues magazine, published by the Center for State Policy and Leadership at the University of Illinois at Springfield
- Pretty Good Jewelry (Ed. note: Showcase and selling blog of a Springfield artist and jewelery maker; she's married to the guy who does A Shareware Life (a/k/a Pretty Good Solitaire) and Solitaire Trader; I'm totally swooning over her work)
- Where there's a Will, there's a way: Campaign blog by Will Reynolds for Sangamon County Board District 22 (as far as I know, Will is the first Springfield area politician to start a blog; we could use a lot more like this)
- Job Conger (Updated Nov. 6, 2006; Job moved off Blogger and onto his own page; needs an RSS feed)
Added on May 7, 2006:
- http://unspelled.blogspot.com Delinked March 12, 2007, due to spam-jacking
Added on May 9, 2006:
- Just Two Guys: We're just two guys who like to talk about stuff. Sometimes we're funny. Sometimes we're not. Sometimes we're informative. Sometimes we're not. What you see is what you get: just two guys. (Ed note: They're going to have a show on Public Access 4 in Springfield; can't wait to see it.)
- The Insane World of Hilton Hightower (Poetry)
Added on July 2, 2006:
- ThirtyWhat: A thirty-something's look at life with humor and an honest eye towards family, friends, and the world in general. (I'm very much looking forward to reading ThirtyWhat. - Marie)
Added on August 10, 2006:
- Afternoon B.S. - The darlings of WMAY's late afternoon drive-time, Jack Davis and Chris Murphy.
- UIS News Bureau: News and information from the University of Illinois at Springfield - Press releases brought to you in blog form. Excellent!
- Coming soon: - The new Springfield, Illinois, blogging community web site. (I'll link to it as soon as shoo gets something set up; in the meantime, I'm not linking to it since it redirects right here to this very page; but just because I can't link it, doesn't mean I can't blink it, so I am; and, FYI, this is the the only blinking text to be found on this entire web site)
Added on August 14, 2006:
- Shoes and Smirks: An outlet to rant and hope in all my criticisms that the world becomes a better place...eventually.... - Just discovered this fairly new Springfield blog today on the blogroll of Just Two Guys. Very nice. Love the title.
Added on September 8, 2006:
- WTAX Sports Blog: Your Central State Eight high school football world brought to you by the sports team at WTAX 1240 AM. Now, where'd I put my pompoms...
- Flickr Tag: Springfield, Illinois. Not a blog. It's a tag. Grab the feed. Enjoy the beauty of our little backwoods hamlet in photos from our own and from strangers just passing through.
Added on November 6, 2006:
- Briblog: Brian Pierce, the veteran morning radio show host, and all the stuff he doesn't have time to drone on about live on the air
- http://ohpea.blogspot.com::Occasional Potato (delinked March 1, 2007, due to deletion by the blog owner and subsequent hijacking
Posted by Marie at June 30, 2005 10:46 PM
Posted by: Marie at October 23, 2005 10:47 PM
Posted by: Marie at October 23, 2005 10:51 PM
Thanks for the link!
Posted by: Will at December 5, 2005 10:48 AM
Thanks for updating to the new url. It's actually my original sites url just moved over to run the blog now. Keep in mind all older url's for the blog will resolve to the new address. So there is no need to update bookmarks if it would be a major hassle. All old permalinks etc are still valid. I'm kind of a Springfield area blogger now that I moved to Chatham. I've said it previously. But I like the new look here. It's much cleaner. Nice job changing things around.
Posted by: Iggy at December 17, 2005 2:56 AM
Thanks for adding me!
Springfield still gets a lot of love from me! Ofr course, spend a few weeks in Vegas away from the casinos and you'd miss Springfield too! :)
Posted by: ewink at December 28, 2005 5:51 AM
Thanks for the link and thanks for the useful compilation of Springfield blogs.
Posted by: Larry Stevens at January 22, 2006 11:22 AM
Thanks for posting my URL's and thanks for the comment on food-critic! I can't believe some actually read my review and liked it! :)
Posted by: Randy at January 31, 2006 3:25 PM
Thanks for the linkage. I've returned the link back.
Posted by: shoo at February 3, 2006 12:16 AM
Hi. Thanks for the plug for the Iles House blog. I also run one for the SHS Class of 1958 at http://shs-58.blogspot.com/.
That tends to be more active, carrying both class news and current events in and around Springfield (including the recent tornado).
I'll put a permanent link to this site on the Iles House blog.
Best wishes, Will Howarth
Posted by: William Howarth at March 18, 2006 10:45 AM
. . . Congratulations, kudos and THANKS for your sharing of Springfield, Illinois-based blogs. Sometimes it seems we are a small community, less so since most of us got indoor plumbing finally, but your site shows me how righteous and bloggeriffic we am! :)
. . . Shaping a better world through better communication,
. . . Job
Posted by: Job Conger at April 23, 2006 9:42 PM
The Rocky Movie Marathon Foundation Blog is run by Illinois Radio Network Statehouse reporter Ryan Hermes.
Posted by: rich miller at April 29, 2006 3:01 PM
To add to the Springfield blogroll.
Posted by: Hilton Hightower at May 8, 2006 7:58 PM
Thanks for adding me to the list!
Posted by: Matthew Pocket at May 9, 2006 6:08 PM
Thanks for the addition! I will return the favor just as soon as I can fix the link section of the blog!
Posted by: Shoes and Smirks at August 22, 2006 1:19 PM
Hey, Marie, can you update your links? I'm back in the game with a new website:
Posted by: Jim Leach at September 8, 2006 8:25 AM
Comments are closed on this entry. If you want to be added to the list, send me a note at mariecarnes [at] gmail.com
Posted by: Marie at October 2, 2006 11:37 PM