� It's the time | Main | You don't believe �

Sunday, October 20, 2013

When the train left the station




* A story with photos about an Albino moose killed by hunters honoured in Mi'kmaq ceremony, and forgiveness.

* A story about a place called Dunning:

The complex occupied 320 acres of land between Irving Park Road and Montrose Avenue, stretching west from Naragansett Avenue to Oak Park Avenue.
It was never actually named Dunning. But the property just south of it was owned by the Dunning family — so when the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway extended a line to the area in 1882, the stop was named Dunning Station. And then people started calling the institution “Dunning.” (In its early years, people sometimes called it “Jefferson,” since it’s part of Jefferson Township.)
When it opened in 1854, it wasn’t an insane asylum. The Cook County Infirmary was a “poor farm” and almshouse. County officials opened its doors to people who had fallen on hard times and found themselves unable to earn a living.

* A photo that speaks a story.

* It had two lights on behind.............

Posted by Marie at October 20, 2013 9:33 PM